Saturday 2 March 2013

Today's birdwatching started at St. Mary Island near Whitley Bay, Northumberland. The tide was low, so there were plenty of rocks for the birds and visitors. On the sea there was a Red-throated Diver, several Eider and a raft of Teal which presumably had taken refuge whilst some scrub bashing was taking place by the pool in the wetland area. A small group of gulls did not contain any white-winged ones, only Black-headed, Common and Herring Gull. As I approached the causeway to the lighthouse I could hear Rock Pipit and found four all feeding a quiet spot away from the people.


After St. Mary's I went to Washington Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust. The feeding station was a busy area with Great Tit, Blue Tit, Blackbird, Chaffinch, Siskin, Bullfinch, Coal Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Nuthatch (missed by me) and Pheasant.





After leaving the feeding station I walked around the centre, catching a glimpse of a Jay as I watched some of the collection birds. I couldn't resist taking this photograph of these three Barnacle Geese as the sunlight was beginning to fade.


A quick stop at Barmston Pond, produced two adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment